In order to best protect the campus community, anyone accessing campus events who is over the age of 12 will be required to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster shot if eligible, or a negative test result within 72 hours.
All plans are subject to change based on the status of the pandemic, and additional regulations may be required based on Humboldt County Public Health and University health and safety guidelines.
Students, staff, faculty, and guests must perform a wellness self-check just prior to coming to campus. If you are feeling ill, have symptoms of COVID-19, or have potentially been exposed to someone with confirmed or suspected COVID-19, you should not attend the Commencement event.
Check in and assemble for the procession
Arrive in your cap and gown at the West Gym on the 2nd floor of the Recreation & Wellness Center Building no later than:
7:45 a.m. | College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences
11:15 a.m. | College of Natural Resources & Sciences
2:45 p.m. | College of Professional Studies
You will be directed to line up by your major, but it’s not necessary to be in alphabetical order.
Pick up your pre-printed name card on Friday, May 13 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the front lobby of the Student Business Services Building. Be prepared to give your Humboldt ID# to the people passing them out. Hold onto your card during the Commencement ceremony—as you enter the stage, you'll need to present it to the stage manager so your name is read.
The Mace Bearer and Student Marshals will lead students into Redwood Bowl, followed by faculty and the platform party. Students will file out in two lines—you must stay in the line with your major. Please do not stop for photos or to talk with family and friends. Marshals will direct you to your seats.
- Following the Alumni Message, Student Marshals will direct one row at a time to approach the stage. You will stop at two locations to take a photo before coming on stage.
- As you approach the stage, hand your name card to the reader, and as your name is read, cross the stage.
- Walk to the gold square on the stage in front of the podium and receive your diploma cover from President Jackson. Pause and face the photographer for a photo.
- Walk down the stairs at the center of the stage or use the ramp on the west side, and the Student Marshal will direct you to return to your seat.
- For master’s candidates, you will carry your hood in the processional on your arm. As you line up to go on stage, you’ll get instructions about how to hold your hood.
- Following the reading of the graduate names, the President will confer the degrees and ask you to switch your tassel from the right side of your cap to the left. Please ask your guests to stay for this celebratory moment.
After the President’s closing remarks, there will be a musical cue for the Mace Bearer to lead the platform party and faculty out of Redwood Bowl. After they have left, graduates and guests will be directed to exit one row at a time.
All guests must be registered and have a printed ticket to enter Redwood Bowl. This includes infants and children, regardless of whether they sit on a lap or in a chair. Email tickets to your registered guests by clicking on the email/print tickets button when you log into the registration portal.
Graduates and guests may park for free in most lots on campus, but G11, FS9, G13, G14, and G14 are recommended. Shuttles for those with mobility issues will run continuously from the FS9 lot by Gist Hall at the end of Rossow Street and will drop off behind the Forbes Gym Building. The green lots shown on this campus map are open for guest/general parking and the blue lots are recommended for ADA and shuttle access. No parking is allowed past the barricades at 17th and Union Streets.
The Commencement Ceremonies will be livestreamed and there will be a link on the Humboldt homepage and the Commencement website the day of the event. A recording will be available to view in the week following the ceremonies.
Things to remember
- In the event of an emergency, remain calm and listen for instructions from the stage.
- Please stay for the entire ceremony out of respect for your classmates and your families.
- Commencement will go on, rain or shine, so be prepared for any weather. Bring umbrellas in the event of rain, or sunscreen for a hot day.
- Humboldt is smoke- and tobacco-free and smoking is not permitted anywhere on the Humboldt Campus.
- Dogs are not allowed in any campus buildings or in Redwood Bowl, except for service animals.
- Confetti poppers and cannons are not allowed in the audience or graduate seating area as part of Humboldt's commitment to environmental sustainability. Anything that could cause a distraction (toys, balloons, beach balls, etc.) is prohibited and will be confiscated.
- Bring your own reusable water bottle and encourage your guests to do the same.
- Students who require disability-related accommodations should contact the Student Disability Resource Center at (707) 826-4678 or email@example.com as soon as possible. Some accommodations may take several weeks to arrange.
GradImages photographers will be on hand at the ceremonies to capture official graduation portraits. After the ceremony, you’ll be sent a link to preview your images, and there is no obligation to purchase photos.
Graduates consent to having portraits and candid photos taken by Commencement photographers. Candid photos may be used in Humboldt publications, website, and social media. If you do not want to be photographed, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre-order leis and other Commencement flowers from Haggerty Designs for pick up in Redwood Bowl before the ceremonies.
Congratulations! As you celebrate your success this weekend, please be safe and responsible.